Tuesday, September 16, 2008

exercise 10 - future of libraries

Well, that was quite easy. I read three of them, and they all seemed to be saying that people use computers a lot more now, and books become out-of-date, and librarians need to know how to help people use the internet to get information. Which all sounds very true, though perhaps hardly world-shattering in its originality. However, it obviously doesn't apply to fiction, which is a large part of a community library. The major effect it had on me was to make me glad that I'm not just starting out on a lifetime career as a librarian: what attracted me to the job was being able to work with books and people, and it sounds as though books at least, and a lot of interaction with people (e.g. at the issues desk) will become a smaller and smaller part of the job.

No comments: