Wednesday, September 3, 2008

exercise 8

My first experience of the site was complete bafflement, as I clicked one place after another, with every one just giving me more and more of the same. But then I tried Bookmarks, and managed to fine one that actually had some comments attached - but as they were all things like "Wow!" and "Awesome!", they weren't terribly interesting. then I found another one, about computers, with (no doubt) much more intelligent but cery technical comments. The next one turned out to be an auction for some silver tableware, so I don't know what that was doing there - no comments, as far as I could see. The next one was followed by lots of comments, most of them obscenties about Canadians. Unfortunately, most of the time I had no idea from the title of the article what it was going to be about. Well, usually about computers and things like that, but precisely what, was a mystery; so I can't really comment on the quality of the comments, but people certainly seemed to be willing to take the time to write them, so they must find them useful, or at least interesting (I can't see that adding "Awesome!" to an article really adds to the sum of human knowledge, but at least it means they aren't out beating up old ladies or racing their cars through the streets). I can see that if you wanted to use these tags (once you found something you were interested in), they could be very useful.

No comments: